This week has been a week for the books.
Sorry about the title of this post, but it will have clear explanations in the rest of the email.
For starters it has been the coldest week in the Philippines. I seriously have had to wear my cardigans everyday, and socks, and layers to bed since all I have is a little sheet haha. But I am not going to lie, despite being somewhat cold, and the ice bucket showers in the morning.. I love it (: I missed snow this winter and the fall type weather, so I was enjoying it. But as for now it is back to being sunny and hot again. I heard that there was some flooding, and bad weather in the Southern Philippines, so I hope they are all okay and that. It saddens my heart seeing all the calamities, and world wide catastrophes that have been happening all around the world. Signs of the times for sure! I consider this another signs of the time... I got head lice! Ahhh I was freaking out. My head was itching, so I had my companion check.. and she pulled one out! I feel very weird.. and we are buying some heavy duty lice- be gone stuff today. Anyways.........
This week was my little Sisters birthday week, and I want to shout out again... HAPPY BIRTHDAY KIRA! Sending my love from the Philippines.
We had a really good Family Home Evening at an investigators home, and were able to have most of the family join us, next time.. the whole family! I seriously have realized more and more since I have been on my mission how important our families are. They are the central unit of the church, and we MUST build our families to be strong and make sure they stay standing when the fiery darts of the adversary come their way.
This week we were standing outside an investigators home, "tao po"ing (knocking here), and he neighbor came over to us telling us that no one was home there. She invited us into her home, and let me tell you, funniest, happiest couple. They are in their 60's, and the husband was an investigator in the 90's, and said he got scared when he saw the "swimming pool" aka the baptismal font. haha. He is a part of a band, and they are called "Los Pablos".. this is for you Kira. They sing Spanish love songs. He gave us a sample and man was it good. He also whipped out his singing, piano playing, harmonica skills, and plays "Piano Man".. made me think of Uncle Steve (: They fed us papaya and hopia, and we shared with them a little of the Restoration and they said we are always welcome to come back and share with them! We will this week! Potentials (:
While sitting in a lesson with one of our favorite Nanays (she is the very devout Catholic mother of a member in our Stake Presidency), the power may have gone out, we sat in candle light sharing the Restoration and in the middle of discussing Christ Ministry, this BIG RAT crawled across this part of the wall. I mean HUGE! I squealed and tried to stay calm haha and I was able to not think about it for the most part but I was so scared to sit in almost pitch black with this thing crawling around us. But needless to say the lesson was good still and we all felt the Spirit.
One really great experience we had was we have been teaching our neighbor who has been taught previously by the missionaries. He is a little confrontational at times, but nice about it. He came to church yesterday! We have been teaching him, and he has so many questions, and has very Catholic beliefs but he texted us last night and said he felt at peace at church, he was really impressed, and that nothing could stop him from coming again next week. haha We were really excited! He still has many questions, but we know he felt the Spirit, and we look forward to the day he comes to know its all true (:
Another special experience was we were able to teach an investigator we haven't been able to teach since November. She was gone all of the holiday season and seemed to be ignoring us. We went there without texting her in advance this time, and she seemed hesitant to see us and let us in, but once we started teaching her and asked the right questions she opened up all the hard challenges they have been having in their family, and we were able to teach to her needs. It was an amazingly great experience, and we are so happy she is welcoming to us again and we can continue teaching her to help her through her trials.
On Saturday we were going to follow up with a former investigator we had re-contacted last week, and on the way there we were stopped by this little old lady with bright pink hair. She asked if we knew a sister. Turns out she had been an investigator for years and moved away. She had a baptismal date and was so close, but felt she shouldn't continue forth with it. So sad! The former investigator was not there, and we got to teach this little Nanay! Let me tell you, she is hilarious! So funny! People really find us (: It is awesome! Maybe now is her time (: Later that day we went to a Relief Society activity, and learned how to make salted eggs? I got the recipe, but it takes like 20 days to do, so I have a feeling I won't be trying that here haha.
The next day we were able to go to the Former Investigator we were originally going to try to go to, and that was a good lesson also. He is very family oriented, and really liked what we had to share. I felt prompted to ask some questions and share a scripture that I thought... "What? That is random." but it was perfect and it was what he needed. I can testify to you that this is not my work, or the work of me and my companion, this is the Lords, and he makes known what they people need.
We had a very inspiring, and spiritual broadcast from the Area Presidency here in the Philippines on Saturday night also and it was so good. They gave us four sections they want to focus on here in the Philippines, 1. Strengthening Families 2. Establish the Church 3. Saving the Rising Generation, and, 4. Save the One, and Share the Gospel. I look forward to seeing how they can apply it to the wards and how I can be a part of that. Sister Marzan had the idea of making a "Referral box" at church and we are going to get that started today for next Sunday!
I love this work. I have learned many crazy things happen on the mission, and things you would least expect, but the work still moves forward and people still find the truth. I love all of you and hope you feel somewhat inspired to try to make a difference where you live. xoxox

No comments:
Post a Comment