Well this has been quite a week for the books! We were hit with
a signal number 3 typhoon named Glenda last Tuesday and have been helping
people recover from it. We were on lock down all of Tuesday and the bagyo
(storm) started in the afternoon. We sang hymns by candlelight to get our minds
off of the loudness of the storm around us. Part of the roof in our back porch
flew off, and it rained a lot, but the worst was the wind. There are so many
HUGE trees all over the place. Kids are playing all over the trees and some
houses have been completely destroyed. We went to several less actives house
and investigators and their house are either gone, or falling apart. It has
been so sad to see, but when they are all wearing smiles, we don't really focus
on the bad. Seriously I love Filipinos and their positively. They seriously
just pick up the branches and start to build their homes again. We also had the
highest church attendance in a while.. Which we thought it would be low! And
our baptism on Saturday still happened.
After Tuesday, (the typhoon), we were able to go out after about
4 pm and go help people clean up some of the debris. We had no cell phone
signal from Tuesday night until Saturday night so we didn't know if we were
allowed to leave or what not, but we had our landlord ask the Zone Leaders who
live in one of her other apartments in another area if we could go and they
cleared us to go. We came back before dark (there is no electricity and won't
be for about a month of more) and have been doing everything at night by
candlelight.
Thursday, we were supposed to have district meeting but it was
canceled and we were able to go out and work instead. We had our practice
interview with JL for his baptism and he did great, then we were able to go and
check the damage in our other areas. It is quite weird to be stepping over
power lines and trees. All the banana trees are down, I have yet to see one that
survived since they are so light. We have been all getting really close at
night since we have to come in and study. I have learned how to thread hair
from Sister Salamat, I guess everyone does that in Pakistan, and we have found
some big spiders in our bathroom, washed laundry.. Yeah pretty much it has been
soooo hard to have to come in so early, but we have been getting letters
written and all of our studies extend to longer. We are being as productive as
we can be!
Friday morning, Sister Adkins and I had walked by a house the
day before that looked like it needed some real help, even though it was on the
other side of the street it was in the area of the other Sisters, we offered to
help them, so we did with the other Sisters. We helped clean up the outside,
and inside of their house. Their roof had partially been removed so there was a
ton of debris everywhere, but it looked so much better after we had all left.
They said they would love to take the lessons and would try to come to church.
That night JL passed his interview, but the District leader wanted him to watch
the Restoration movie to better understand Joseph Smith so we went to Biggs' a
restaurant with a generator and watched the Restoration haha. Never thought I
would teach a lesson there.
The next day was his baptism and the font took some time to fill
but it was a beautiful service and the Spirit was so strong. I am so happy for
him and his mom, who is not a member came to church and we were able to teach
her for the first time! The gospel really opens hearts of people! She used to
be taught by the missionaries, but had stopped and was not wanting to be taught
for some time, but now she does again (: That night we were also able to teach
Grace. Her husband is an inactive member and they are not married yet. The
missionaries had stopped teaching her but we decided to start again and she
came to church on Sunday (: She knows the Book of Mormon is true and really
wants to be baptized, but they have no money to pay for the papers to get
married, but we are going to help them save for it and hopefully by the end of
this year it can happen.
Sunday was a good one, even though it was hot with no aircon, or
lights we had 169 people at church! It was awesome! JL received the Gift of the
Holy Ghost and he was beaming. He is such an awesome kid, and I am grateful his
baptism has helped his family all come closer to together. We had a Ward
Council meeting and we had a ton of avocados given to us so we made guacamole
and brought it. They all loved it. They don't know what it is here, and they use
avocados as dessert. It was fun, to see their reactions to it.
This has week
has been crazy and it has made me realize how grateful I am for the little
things like cell phone coverage, electricity, fridges, and the little things we
often don't realize we depend on. But I am also so very grateful for the
lessons I have learned. Life throws us challenges, storms and we need to make
sure we are spiritually ready of our shallow roots and thin branches won’t
last. I am so blessed and grateful my mission has helped me deepen my roots in
the Gospel and build a stronger foundation on the things I do know. I love this
Gospel, I love my family, and I am grateful that we are still okay and
surviving over here in the Bicol region. I love you all so much and I will see
you all before we know it! xoxoxox

Mom's Note - Vanessa returns home on July 31st, she has only a few days left to help clean up after the Typhoon. Glad she is safe, please pray for the Philippines. Thanks :)
| Downed Typhoon Tree |
No comments:
Post a Comment