JUNE 17th, 20 13 – Being Grateful
So we had 2 baptisms on Saturday, and the Goa 1st
Sisters had 3 also we decided to have one big service for the 5 children. It
was amazing! And I love one of our investigators that was baptized, Vincent, he
was SOOOO excited he ran to the font when it was his turn. And the other
investigator, Jona, her father was able to baptize her and he has been inactive
for 3 years! I felt the Spirit so strongly and I love being the chorister ( I am
in relief society, at our baptisms, and even was last zone conference haha). I
love it though because there is such a strong spirit when we sing and praise
God. I love the power of music and that influence it can have in our lives for
good.
So a funny story this week. One of the days we
were going to Upper Classy TayTay. a barangay (neighborhood) where we have to
walk like a mile to get there... okay maybe not a mile but it is a ways out. It
is the area in my photos that I am pointing on a long dirt road with rice
fields in the background. So on the way there I realized I didn't have my
umbrella, which I almost always bring. It looked stormy but not too bad
(speaking of it just started pouring rain haha). But anyways so we were like a
4th the way there and we started hearing the rain like coming behind us... like
a wall was coming our way. We had my companion’s umbrella and used it as a
shield because the rain was pelting us sideways. We tried taking cover behind
some tall weeds (haha )but there were no houses or any where to take cover. We
were drenched and walking in mud, it calmed a bit so we ran the rest of the
way. We were laughing so hard, ringing out our skirts and embracing it. It is
rainy season here for sure. I really love it (: So fun.
I have realized more and more. I realized this a
lot while I was on service council is that I like to do spur of the moment
random things. I have been gutsy in trying foods from members and maybe I
should be more cautious but I have been okay. Knock on wood... but really… I
love to embrace the culture and try what people give me. I have yet to try
Balut but I plan on trying it soon. Sister Morales loves it.
So I talked in Sacrament yesterday and talked for
about 5 minutes! Big for me! I had written it all out and pulled quotes from
the Liahona conference issues we have in our apt... but I went off the paper
and did a lot of it on my own! I feel that because I prepared the Lord was able
to give me the words I should say at the very hour I needed them (sound
familiar (: D&C 100:6 ). But I told of the story of the Prodigal Son and
how like him, if we turn out hearts back to the Lord, rise up, and go to our
Father admitting out wrongs and repenting, like the Prodigal son, the Lord WILL
do just this: "But when he was yet
a great way off, his father saw him, and had
compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him."
The Lord is so willing to run to us and welcome us
back into His presence, IF we repent. I also talked about the Atonement and how
it won't apply to us if we don't repent of our sins.
Christ says in D&C 19:16-19
16 For
behold, I, God, have suffered these things for all, that they might not suffer
if they would repent;
17 But if
they would not repent they must suffer even as I;
18 Which
suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of
pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit—and would
that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink—
19
Nevertheless, glory be to the Father, and I partook and finished my
preparations unto the children of men.
I talked about not taking upon ourselves this pain
and burden, because Christ already has. We are just asked to repent,
acknowledge the greatness of God, and our imperfections, and strive to do
better each day. I may or may not have shed some tears when I was talking , but
I felt the Spirit so strongly testify to me the truths that I spoke and that
some people in the congregation needed to hear what I was saying.
I love being a missionary. Its hard, and sometimes
I think...'Woah, where am I? What am I doing here?' and then I realize all
those questions say "I,I,I". What I should be asking is 'Where does
He need me to go? What is it He needs me to do?' and then I can be he
missionary I need to be. This is something that is so hard, but I hope I can
strive to become a more selfless missionary.
One last story before I go, but I have
surprisingly been more put together then I thought when it comes to seeing
poverty. I thought I would cry all the time, and I have at times, but I have
tried to just realize that this is what they are used to and many don't know
differently, especially children. I did have a break down yesterday though.
There is this family who has so little and the kids often go to bed with no
food. I had Fita crackers (like ritz) in my bag, but they had been smashed
pretty bad, but I gave them to the boy we teach. He was so excited! He opened
them and shared them with his brother, and I literally couldn't hold it in.
They have a lot of family problems, that I won't talk about but let.s just say
he is 11 and has to work to support himself pretty much. He has 5 younger siblings, all of which I
adore and I have contemplated so many times... hmmm could a 21 year old adopt 6
kids? Would they let me? I know that even though they go to bed hungry at
times, the Lord watches over them. He loves His little children and helps lift
them up. This was an eye opening experience for me and I really want to
appreciate all that I have. Even when they have so little, they laugh, play and
have so much fun. Material things, and temporal things help us in this life but
they are not things of great importance. I love the gospel and the light and
hope it brings to this little boy’s life, and mine. I am grateful for what I am
blessed with.
I hope all is well in your life and that things
finds you happy in well.
Xoxoxoxox

No comments:
Post a Comment